Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Brynna: 30 Months

*Brynna, my little firecracker, how can it be that you are inching closer and closer to 3? It seems as though time is moving too fast as I want these young, carefree years to stay longer -- forever.

Admittedly 2 has been a rough age as your father and I navigate the peaks and valleys of your emotions all while trying to balance being disciplinarians and those fun parents that you once ran to for hugs, laughs and, well, everything.

Some days you are all about us: holding our hands and asking us to play games with you, cuddling on the couch or making up funny songs with us. Letting us join you in your world of make believe and imaginary scenes.

Other days you want to be left alone with plenty of space to figure out your own way. Only asking us to step in when you need help or asking us to do things on your terms.

And, if I'm being honest, although I love watching you trying to do so many things on your own, -- it also makes me sad and a little lonely.

Because you see, My Boom Boom, you were my first. You made me a mom. Before you, my free time consisted ofwith watching TV, writing, relaxing, shopping; that all changed when you came along as those free hours were immediately  been filled with everything Brynna. And I don't know how to fill those spaces of time as you pull away from me.

Yes, I have your sister, but our time -- yours and mine -- still stands. I got used to those afternoons spending time at the park, or reading to you at the library, painting outside or playing tea party wearing princess crowns.

Now, you want to play pretend with your dolls, replacing me with one of the princesses. You enjoy the park with other kids -- quickly making friends once we get there, leaving me to watch on the sidelines. Now I'm left reminiscing how I was once your favorite playmate.

But oh how you thrive on your own.

At 2 1/2 years old, you can hold a conversation, are potty trained, stand up for yourself -- and your sister -- and speak your mind. You love making new friends, dressing up, dancing and making up funny songs.

You can be relentless at times and are very strong willed. Something that makes me proud -- but a little frustrated as you constantly push back and push boundaries.

This age is a windstorm of emotions, highs and lows, tears and smiles -- and we are along for the ride.

And so we ride those waves with you.

And so here I wait, as an observer. Always ready and willing to follow your lead, play on your terms, hug, jump, run, cuddle, or simply hold you when needed.

You will always be one of my favorite people.

Love you more than you know,

Mom