Monday, October 7, 2013

Fall Fun! Or the time I dragged my family to a Pumpkin Patch

Fall Fun! Or the time I dragged my family to a Pumpkin Patch

Fall is finally, finally here! I adore this season and all that it brings – especially the cool weather, which allows me to break out the beloved Uggs. Yes, I still wear them. In fact I have three pairs and I can’t wait to buy Brynna her first pair. October is such an exciting month not only because of the change in weather but because it jumps off the holiday season starting with Halloween. And with Brynna (finally!) here it makes everything that much more exciting. For years I would drag Alex to pumpkin patches and fall-themed events just to get into the spirit of it all. I’d love watching parents interact with their kids as they helped pick out pumpkins, patiently waiting for their kid to pick the perfect one. It made me so excited to one day share that same experience with my child. And now I finally can. Okay, so Brynna is way way too young to care about pumpkins or corn mazes, or dressing up for that matter. But I care. Like I really really care. I’ve anticipated these outings for years and I will definitely probably throw a fit if we don’t take her to at least one pumpkin patch. And we have to go trick or treating. And we have to dress up. And we have to carve a pumpkin. I’m not joking. This is happening.
First Fall Activity: Visit a Pumpkin Patch
We actually did this this past weekend. I wish I could say she absolutely loved it but … she’s a baby. Who’s teething. And it was crazy hot. But because she has her dad’s humor (and her mom’s temperament) she humored mom and went with it. Note: I was the only one who really wanted to go so Daisy (Brynna’s Nina) and Alex were also humoring me.  Of course the Santa Ana winds were in full effect which made things barely bearable for Daisy and Alex who were suffering from allergies. So, we spent about 45 minutes in the pumpkin fields taking photos and letting Brynna touch all the gourds. She loved those gnarly looking ones. You know the ones that look like a gourd version of the Elephant Man? She posed for a few photos but teething/the heat/ and a missed nap made it hard to get a good photo. You know one where she actually appears to be enjoying the visit? Anyways, she picked a pumpkin, cried when I didn’t let her touch the prickly stem and thoroughly enjoyed trying to eat the hay.
A total success in my humble opinion!!
Fussiness takes over!
Next mission: Carve a pumpkin
Me