Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cravings

Cravings

I think the number one question people ask me is “have you craved anything weird during your pregnancy” followed by “what do you miss the most?” After thinking about it for a bit, I’ve come up with a short list of food that I’ve either craved or hated on. It didn’t take long for me to think up what I miss. One word: Sangria.
My list of cravings:
First trimester: Oily, fattening fast food. I think I may have devoured 10 Taco Bell bean and cheese burritos within those first few months. McDonald’s breakfast was a must on the weekends and for some reason so was Panda Express. Of course I didn’t eat this stuff everyday but these are the items that I would have made  my non-pregnant self stay away from.  It has been reassuring to hear that my weight gain is right on track since I thought I ate all my calories those first three months. 
For some reason bagels, toast, bananas and spaghetti were no-nos. Which makes no sense cause I loved all those things before pregnancy. 
Second Trimester: I tried to wrangle in my non-healthy food cravings during the second trimester but man, sometimes you just have to give in. Non-fat yogurt, specifically the cake batter flavor from Cherry on Top, was a must at least once a week for awhile. Salads, wheat spaghetti and carne asada anything was on my list of things I had to eat. Lemonade, fruit salads, really fruit of any kind from peaches and nectarines to plums and strawberries were devoured like crazy.
Third Trimester: Pizza! Oh Costco, how I love thee. Mr. Brody is a fan of pizza too so we have had to rein each other in on this craving to ensure we aren’t eating it everyday. Almonds, peanuts, fruit and salad also make the list. Luna bars have also been a hit with Baby Brody but she’s finicky and some of the things beloved a few weeks ago (lemonade, bananas) are either hit or miss these days.  
And the craving of the moment is… grapefruit! Delicious, bitter, acidic grapefruit. I’m talking about eating one to two a day type of craving. 
But I can’t complain, these cravings could be weirder. Right? 
Me