Friday, August 3, 2012

Maternity clothes ain’t so bad

Maternity clothes ain’t so bad

As much as I complain about not being able to fit into my clothes I have to admit that there are some perks to maternity clothes.
1. Going belt-less: Hey lowrise jeans, yes you’re super cute and bring out my best “assets” but your tendency to fall whenever I sat or bent down required that i wear a belt in fear of becoming one of those girls. You know, the ones who show their undies or, gasp, booty crack. I miss you but not the work that went into keeping you in place.
2. Who needs zippers? Seriously, what good are you? It’s nice not having to worry about you being up or getting you caught in a too-long shirt. 
3. Same goes for buttons: Oh how I remember those days of sucking in my stomach to get you closed on my ultra-tight skinny jeans. And then the glorious feeling of finally being able to breathe once your were unhitched. So this is what breathing feels like. 
4. Flats, where have you been all my life? Of course I miss my Stevies, Nine West and Michael Kor heels and platforms but flats are nice too. I still wear platforms every now and then but for not every day like I used to. My back can’t handle it. 
Not only can I walk several blocks without having to sit down or carry an extra pair of slip-ons in my purse just in case I had to be out in the field that day, but they go with everything. Yes, heels do add that “oh, these make my (legs, butt, calves everything) look good” factor, but if you’re like me, 9 out of 10 times I end up in flip flops by the end of the day. I’m sure my tootsies are enjoying the break. 
5. Light, flowy tops: All my snug tees, sweaters and work tops are getting lonely. I miss them too. But the thought of squeezing myself into a sweater is enough to bring on a hot flash. for once I’m dressing for comfort, which means cute tops that let me move and let my skin breathe. I do sift through my drawers at least once a week wishing that I can wear my favorite graphic tee or work top but knowing how uncomfortable I will be once the top is pulled over my head makes me close the drawer. We will meet again once day American Eagle sweater that I love oh so much.
I’ve had a really hard time adjusting to my pregnancy body (yes I know that it’s going to get bigger) and really miss dressing the way I did several months ago but I’m trying to be positive. I still have days when I look longingly at the clothes and shoes in my closet until Alex steers me away with promises that I’ll wear them all again one day. 
Until then, I’m going to rock my elastic-waisted jeans, nursing tops and comfy shoes. 
-Me